Monday, December 04, 2006

A Quick Writing Exercise

I was walking downtown yesterday (heading to the local independent bookseller, of course) when I saw a pair of crutches leaning against the side of a building.

They were still there an hour and a half later.

My stepdaughter Anastasia is starting to write, and I’ve bought her a few books that she uses for exercises – one of them timed exercises! – but frankly, I couldn’t come up with anything better than this: the image of those crutches leaning against the brick wall of a building on a downtown street. For hours.

What were they doing there? Why were they left? To whom did they belong?

I’m sending them along to her as an exercise. You might want to try it, too _ and then you'll be beyond the elements of style!



Jeannette Cézanne
Customline Wordware, Inc.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?