Friday, August 18, 2006

An Early Thanksgiving

We're still a few months off from November, but I'd like to spend a few moments this Friday giving thanks anyway.

It's been an insanely busy week here at Customline Wordware, and I've found my brain working more slowly than usual. At times like this, one really appreciates one's friends and colleagues.

So I'll talk about two of them. Those of you who listen to my radio show, The World of Publishing, have already met both these people: Susanna J. Sturgis and Dick Margulis.

Susanna J. Sturgis (Susanna's Web site) is a brilliant writer and editor, who has opened my mind to literature I would not have explored on my own and has herself pushed the envelope in helping establish a feminist presence within the science fiction genre and community. She listens to my often-snide comments and puts them in context, and has been willing to share a lot of her own hard-earned wisdom and techniques with me. She's turned me on to music I'd never heard before and her blog (Susanna's Bloggery) is filled with thoughts I wish I'd had. (Read her words. Often.) And when my world is particularly crazy, she always provides a dose of sanity and calm.

Dick Margulis (Dick's Web site) has intimidated me for as long as I've known him. This man is just too perfect. He's an editor's editor; he guides his clients with caring and aplomb through the maze of self-publishing; he always has time to answer even the most inane of questions – while making one feel that they weren't all that inane, after all. I check his blog (Words/Myth/Ampers & Virgule) regularly for updates on language and publishing (and so should you), and he's the first person I think of when I have a phrase to untangle or an elusive term to track down. When a plea for help is thrown out in an editors' forum, I think, "I'll answer that when I have time, not right now." Dick thinks, "I'll answer that right now." And his answers are invariably thoughtful and complete.

I'm immensely grateful that these two people are in my world. Take a moment and visit their Web sites and blogs. You may find that one of them is just the right fit for your next project.

They are most definitely... beyond the elements of style!


Jeannette Cézanne
Customline Wordware: Custom Copy To Go!
http://www.customline.com





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?